"It is not an exaggeration to say that play is as basic to a child’s total development as good food, cleanliness, and rest." - Joanne E. Oppenheim
Games and sports play a pivotal role in one’s life. Sony Academy has taken special care to plan its building and layout in such a way that considerable amount of land is set apart for play which include out door sports, indoor sports and activities. The school has five fields and a 400 meter track with courts for Tennis, Basket Ball, Volleyball, Archery, Boxing and nets for Cricket and Squash. The Cricket grounds of NMS are of International standard. The Neerja Modi Cricket Academy has had the proud privilege to host the ICC Practice Matches between Team India and Team Pakistan. The dressing rooms for the players are designed in such away that it offers modern amenities to them. Swimming is a part of the school curriculum. The school’s 25 m. x 12.5 m. swimming pool is approved by the International Swimming Organization for schools.
Besides, plans are afoot to build a Gymnasium with an Indoor Badminton court or two. The school also has provisions for Aerobics, Judo and Boxing with the latest equipment for workouts.
The main objectives are:
- To create awareness of the necessity for organic vigour and efficiency through physical fitness.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of the requirements of healthy living, nutrition, exercise and relaxation.
- To create awareness of the necessity to develop a good posture and physical poise.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of skills that will be useful as leisure time activities and those of recreational nature.
- To create opportunities to develop esprit de corps, courtesy, sportsmanship, social skills, democratic conduct and ideals.
- To develop appreciation of the aesthetic and cultural aspects of movement
All in all the school has an integrated programme. Each grade of 32 students are split into units of 4 or 5 children who get specialized coaching for 40 minutes in one game or the other.
All sports activities are conducted under the supervision of qualified coaches of National and International repute. The school children regularly participate in national and international events and are winning laurels for the school.